Turning Back time to Recreate Our Adventures

I brought Dad back safely from the Pemigewasset Wilderness though it wasn’t always easy. In order to recreate some of
the marvel of our journey I’m going to turn back time and write an entry every day for the next six days to recreate
what we did during our trip. While there are many pictures, sound files and videos which you can go check out
steadily; I’m going to take this day by day to keep the posts shorter. For those of you eager to see a bit more, check
out our spot adventure at:
(please understand it’s still in some state of development and that this was just a test run)

Monday we arrived at UNH after a night at the Sherpa estate which is also home to “Buttercup’ who is not a Princess
Bride so much as a kitty with an exceedingly shy nature. Neither Dad nor I had slept too long and we were tired but
the excitement of the trip carried the day. Kyle and Sarah were trip leaders and supplies were being doled out, packs
rechecked and a film crew of Scott and Scott took a few interviews about the experience ahead.

Matt showed up with the 15 Passenger van and we all loaded up and headed to Lincoln Woods and our entry into the
Wilderness. Dad’s pack was too heavy despite several attempts to whittle down a bit. I was of course willing to eat a
few extra rations but this did not occur. We ate our lunch during a briefing meeting and the heat continued to rise
above all expectations. My coat had been one of the items sacrificed but my sleeping bag was there so I knew I could
get warm and dry every night as needed – though I was skeptical that would be necessary at this point.

The group created a flag with each member writing what they hoped to give to the group and what they hoped to get from
the group. This would be carried by various people all through the trip and hung at campsites and summits.

Dad failed in his first attempt to start the Spot and though we took time to quickly pose as a class on the Suspension
Bridge entrance, we had to get to work as we were running just a trifle behind schedule. Dad’s first steps with the
full pack were a little awkward as narrow stairs and a higher center of gravity didn’t suit him but he settled into it
well with the pack resting solidly on his hips rather than his shoulders. The old railroad bed trail is pretty smooth
and I was able to keep Dad at a high rate of speed weaving as necessary around the rocks, over to whichever side of the
bed of rail road ties was necessary for optimum work. It was a five mile hike into the woods and eventually the trail
became more trail like and I really had to show off my skills. It didn’t take long for folks to notice and Brent told
Dad along the way he now realized it would have been a mistake to leave me behind. I was proud though Dad was
evaluating whether Brent said this as motivation or in earnest.

Everyone was strong despite the heavy packs and while some kinks were being worked into the muscle memory of this kind
of hiking, I really felt great and took in all the scents a Wilderness can hold. My tail wagging approach to this kind
of work did not go without notice as my spirits were as high as the rest of the crew.

We reached our camp pretty much on time and after a search found the lightest bugs nearer to the river, we found a
Bivvy site for our tarps, cook location and Dad, Courtney and Sarah began the bear hang search. An empty Nalgene
bottle may get thrown through a tree branch but when hung up it has not enough weight to do the job. All three took
times climbing a bit to perform the rescue and ultimately the Ladies rescued while I supervised and kept Dad out of the
way. Later a group effort would provide the final official bear hangs capable of hanging the nearly 300 pounds of food
for the start of the trip!

I got my food a little late but we had all found comfortable perches around the sounds of the rushing East Branch of
the Pemigewasset River from which the Wilderness receives its name. An enormous glacial boulder had been dropped very
near to our campsite and several folks waded out to have a picture with it. Dad sat close to it on a mossy perch to
fill up all the water bottles and have us ready for the next day’s very hard schedule. Kyle helped Dad and I find a
suitable place for me to relieve and a cathole was produced by Dad even though Brent believes I get a break from the
LNT by virtue of my wild nature.

I was pretty tired so while the group did their debrief and activities until after 11 p.m., I napped pleasantly. By
the time we officially hit the bedrools under the exposed and open tarps, I was delighted to lay on my sleeping bag and
curl up against Brent and his inflatable pad. After all, Brent had confirmed a very positive and clear appreciation
for how valuable I was on this trail so far! Dad was way over-heating and didn’t sleep so well that night. So when he
gave the agreed upon 5 a.m. wake up call we were all a little tired and ready for day two: Bondcliff. That is of
course a post for tomorrow.

You should, however, ask Dad about the fantastic Card he got from Sarah’s activity. Until then I’m still resting and
recoverring. Tomorrow’s post will have the real adventure as our trip became a mountain assault of epic detail!

Mighty Quinn
P.s. Dad will have his Teva blog up very soon as well and that will hold some great video options of me working the


  1. Rich C says:

    Can hardly wait to hear more!

  2. Teresa says:

    Sounds exciting, exhausting and overall a grand adventure. Looking forward to hearing more.

  3. Brent says:

    Brent was very impressed with you Quinn. I have been telling everyone here on campus how great you were. I look forward to hearing more from your perspective and the heroic accomplishments of the guy you call Brent.

Leave a Reply